About Me

My photo
Just putting my point of view out there for everyone to learn about me and love me. About me I'm 30-something, living in Raleigh with friends. Just wanted a blog not about Weddings, Babies and Pets, about the other stuff in life, like Reality TV! Hope you enjoy.

Monday, November 26

A wedding... in Jail?

That's right folks, the queen of all weddings has now seen it all.  I went to a wedding on a Monday night.  Let me start from the beginning....

It was a regular Monday at work and my co-worker Alli had come in with her new engagement ring, she and her BF had been dating for two years.  They had gotten engaged on Sunday and she was soooo happy and excited.  Then a few minutes later another co-worker Robin came over to ask about our weekend and I excitedly said "Alli got engaged", she congratulated Alli and then began tapping her fingers on my desk.  I asked was there something else she needed, she said no and kept tapping.  Then one of our co-workers noticed Robin's ring... "YOU'RE ENGAGED??"  She said "YESSSS" in her drawn out southern accent.  And we were all like WHHHHAAAATTT???  I feel like just a few weeks ago I was coaching her on how to eat/like sushi with her new BF that she had just began dating.  That is right just a few weeks before they were having their first date and now engaged??  How does this happen?  And can she teach me how to catch a man that fast, get engaged, with a gorgeous ring, move into his house, get married and be on the verge of quitting her JOB (that is just my personal opinion). 

So one week later on a dreary Monday, Robin comes to my desk and says what are you doing tonight? Working (which is always my answer these days)... she asked if I could get off tonight and meet her at the COURTHOUSE???  Well now I'm not about to pass up the chance to be a part of a wedding, especially at the court house on a Monday night... what do think blogs are for...to tell stories like this.  So I said yes. Robin called me on the way asking what she should wear?  I told her I was wearing a black dress and she said she was too.  I told her I guess when it's your 4th wedding in a courthouse you can wear whatever you want???  A bikini for all I care.... but that would've made a great story too.

I drove my little happy WITNESS butt down to the Johnston County Courthouse and in all my 30 years.. that' right folks in 30 years of living/growing up in Smithfield I did not know where the magistrates office was.  I don't really think I've been much in the courthouse except to pay some taxes or something, so I think that is a good thing.  Then I find out the magistrates office is in the JAIL...  So I walk down to the jail, which is directly across from my church.  I do now realize I have been here once before to sing Christmas Carols.  So as I'm sitting and waiting in the jail, Robin calls they are running late.  So as I'm sitting this nice police lady comes in and does a double take on me... Holden? Royall?  Hey it's Bri Prince from middle school.  Wow who'd thunk I would be sitting in the Jail and run into a middle school friend who was NOT in jail, but working there.  So we chatted and caught up for a minute, then she got a call that a suburban had been stole' at the T-Mart.  Oh the T-mart brings back memories, we used to stop there every morning on the way to school and we had to do paper, rock, scissors to see who had to go in because if you went in you came out smelling like FRIED CHICKEN all day long.  Oh man missing their tater wedges.  Anyway Brianna had to go back to work, so there I was just sitting again.  The door opens and in walks Mr. Broughton, my sisters friend's dad, who lives down the street from me.  He looks puzzled and asked why I was there, I proudly proclaimed for a wedding, he responded with how romantic?  Then a trooper drives down the ramp with a man in custody and the other trooper stuck his head in and said Mam' what's your name?  Are you with the guy in the trooper car?  I said NO.  After pondering for a moment he stuck his head back in and said are you sure, I said yeah I'm here for a wedding.  FYI--you can get married 24/7 at the Magistrates office, never closes, just like the jail.  You do have to have all your paperwork prepared before hand, so no drunken night at the LBJ can you end up married at the JOCO courthouse, although I'm sure it's come close to happening.

Ok Bride and Groom arrive, groom picks up phone to be buzzed into... well pretty much the Jail.  It's the magistrates area, which is where you also go to visit people in jail or bail them out... all one the same place.  So guess who is the Magistrate, that's right Mr. Broughton, so he stands on one side of plexi glass, bride, groom and 2 witnesses and photographer!  Yep there were pics (included).  They say a few things, recite the vows like any normal wedding.  It was really cute, because they were just standing there staring at each other (not much other place to look), but it was very intimate and sweet.  And saves a TON of money...not such a bad idea.  I really felt apart of it, I was RIGHT there, I mean right there.

Then we were done, they kissed and we went to Kobe Japanese steak house for the reception!!  When the bill came the groom passed to me and said thanks Holden.  I kindly handed it back to him and said hope we are good at washing dishes.  He took it back and said this is one reception I can afford to pay for... haha

Congrats to Robin and Mike and thanks for letting me be a Witness... can I get a Witness to your special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment