About Me

My photo
Just putting my point of view out there for everyone to learn about me and love me. About me I'm 30-something, living in Raleigh with friends. Just wanted a blog not about Weddings, Babies and Pets, about the other stuff in life, like Reality TV! Hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, July 26

Debt Doctor



Today I'm feeling a little less silly and a lot more older and wiser.  And well since I'll be 30 soon, just thought I would share 30 years worth of stuff I wish someone had told me and just maybe this can help your life.

First off let me say to half of my friends this won't apply to you because your families are rich.  But if you don't have make it on your own, then don't.  I'm all for free rides/help from the parents, just share the love and buy me a few drinks now and again.

So this came about because recently I consolidated my life, almost everything into ONE payment, it's awesome.  And in three years I'll hopefully be debt free.  And well my goal was to always be debt free by the time I got married or turned 30... the 30 dream is gone (unless I win the lottery in the next 6 months), and since I've had no takers on my marriage proposals I guess it could still happen.

But to the rest of you guys out there just trying to make it out there on your own, here's what I have to say.  Just don't buy RANDOM shit, because your friends will buy it and you can use theirs or they'll get tired of it and give it to you.  I have some really nice shirts, necklaces, purses, shoes, prom dresses etc that have all come to me by the "FREE-way"!  Thanks to all my rich friends again out there.  And my mom who buys a purse and gets tired of it after like a month :)

You do not have to have a cool big car, unless you work for a carpool group or moving company.  Save your money and your gas.  Plus YOU always have to take your car on trips, to concerts, nights out because you can fit everyone.  SO having a small crappy car gets you out of having to be the driver sooooo many times.  Just ask my sister JULIA (shout out)... Jane and I refuse to ride in her car, A-because it's small and B-because it's usually dirty.  So who is the smart one now, it's Julia because we ALWAYS take my car because it's the biggest, the cleanest and can fit all of us comfortably.

You do not need the newest best mac book, i-pad, LAP TOP out there.  Guess what most of the stuff you do, you do on your phone.  And you don't need a $1500 piece of equipment aka additional payment just to play on facebook and have your pictures upload faster.  So use your dumb college issued computer until it dies.  Unless of course you work from home and have some great business that you need to be on the computer all the time, then this whole blog probably doesn't apply to you anyway.  Here is another example of using your ROOMMATES stuff!

Designer jeans....I'm sorry but unless you are like size 2-6 these usually don't look all that great on you and you should save your $200.  I know you wear these so other people will notice your A pockets, seams, etc but really only girls know what that means and yes sometimes we are trying to impress other girls... but really WE are not in MEAN girls anymore, so get over it. Buy what fits you and what is comfortable... OR go to TJ MaxX, Nordstroms Rack, Filene's basement or E-bay and pick out a good pair for a discount price.... OR find a friend that got F-A-T and can't fit in hers anymore and offer to take them off her hands.  You wouldn't want her getting sad everyday staring at $1000 worth of jeans she can't fit into.  You are doing both of you guys a favor.

And let's go back to teenage years.  Save Save Save....save all that money you make babysitting, lemonade stands, gas money from your parents (remember other people are driving), summer jobs, b-day money and live cheaply for a few years and it will be amazing the amount of money you could save and start a savings account and YES you can make money on money...who ever knew that as a teenager.  Also if you are hot, let the boys buy the beer, the fair tickets, the movie tickets, and food.

SO there are lots of ways to save and not spend money on stupid stuff and realize at 30 that you have no money and work your ASS off.  So hopefully at 33 I'll still be writing and I can do a f/u and tell you how much greater life is being debt free.  Until then I'm still the cheap-ass funny friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment