About Me

My photo
Just putting my point of view out there for everyone to learn about me and love me. About me I'm 30-something, living in Raleigh with friends. Just wanted a blog not about Weddings, Babies and Pets, about the other stuff in life, like Reality TV! Hope you enjoy.

Saturday, November 12

Perception is the key

Sometimes as we get older maybe we realize we are the ones that need to change, change our stubborn ways, change the way people perceive us.  So maybe I think I'm this awesome fun girl, with great stories, always up for a laugh and new adventure.  But have you to really examine if that is how other people also see you. 

I think as I get older I want to be more conservative, go out less, drink less, be more conscious of what I'm eating, stop exhausting myself to be a part of everything.  See when the weekend used to come around you would chat with your friends about upcoming weekend plans.... they would go something like this.  Work/School/Unemployment..grab some dinner somewhere, maybe have a drink, go home get ready, go to friends house, have lots or free drinks, cab, bar, more drinks, maybe late night stop for food on the way home, more free drinks, sleeeeeeppppppppp til like noon.  Get up more food, buy more booze, nap/watch tv/minimal activity, eat again, get ready, someone else's house, have lots of free drinks, cab, bar, more drinks, wander home, more drinks and sleep.  Pretty much the routine every weekend, as you notice lots of drinks and food.  Now that I'm old and my body can't take all that, barely stay up til 9pm on Friday night after a long work week, maybe up at work on Saturday morn or some sort of project, then maybe dinner and drinks with friends.  Sunday relax, clean, do laundry and just catch up on things to begin another work week.
So in the fall lots of weekends consist of football.  Early rising to prepare food and specialty drinks for a day of great weather (hopefully) gathering with friends, and a little football.  Old days, it was jello shots, keg stands, shot gun beers and Bojangles tailgate special.  Now it's homemade dips, pigs in a blanket on real platters, bourbon, mimosas and not beast beer.
So if you are at the homemade dips/pigs in a blanket tailgate and you are shot gunning beers, slamming jello shots, you might want to think of perception.  This dawned on me this past weekend at the UNC/NCSU game....blending some new traditions and old traditions.  We made some food, but also brought along jello shots and we were at the mature tailgate, lots of married folks and couples (boooooo).  SO even though my friend Kim and I were having a great time and handing out jello shots, trying to spice up this party, plus walking around with a tray of jello shots is always a great way to start a conversation with cute dudes.  I wonder what the perception here was, were we the girls stuck in the past, the party girls, the forever going out girls..... because surely I am not.  I was in bed early the night before and def napped after the game.  But maybe there was some single guy there at the tailgate that thought, wow those girls are cute, but they may be a little wild slammin jello shots at 11am????  Pass.  So maybe I'm trying to change my ways and drink less, but it hits you faster, you have to be aware 2 strong bourbon drinks when you are 21 have a lot different effect on your 29 year old body. 

See I want people to see the real me.  The fun outgoing girl, who likes to go out and have fun, but not til 3am (except special occasions), just likes to hang with her friends, go out to dinner, watch movies, hang on the couch with her roomies, working herself out of debt, working hard at her job, but still makes time for the fun things in life.  So in the future if I'm looking to settle down and get away from the party girl image I have to be careful how I'm perceived.  And so should everyone else out there.  You think your married/coupled friends are going to set you up with one of their great guy friends if you are a serial dater, hating on dudes all the time, party hardy, doing drugs, sleeping with everyone in town, go to church on Sunday girl to repent your weekend.... that's a BIG NOPE!  So be yourself and if you want to go home at 9pm and only have one beer, well I say do it!!!!

*Pic's below are not me, but I'm sure I can say it could have been and probably most of my friends!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment